Nonprofit Accounting Basics – a site devoted to accounting, finance, and governance issues for nonprofits
TechSoup – a place for nonprofits to get discounted software, hardware and IT resources
Lawyers Clearinghouse – legal resources for nonprofits
10 Fundamentals of Forming a Charitable Organization – a Powerpoint covering 10 items to plan for when forming a new nonprofit
How to Start a Nonprofit
Retirement Plan Options
Policies to Have
- Conflicts of Interest Policies
- Compensation Policies
- Gift Acceptance Policies
- Whistleblower Policies
- Document Retention Policies
- Compensation Policies
- Excess Benefit Transactions
- Private Benefit and Inurement
- Unrelated Business Income
- Sample Policy for Handling Cash – Some of the language in this article is directed at churches or religious organizations but the concepts are applicable much more broadly to organizations that handle cash.
- Management Oversight
- Program Oversight
- Financial Oversight
- Board Officer Roles
- Board Committees and Structures
- Reviewing Executive Compensation
- What Nonprofit Board Members Should Know – Article by Adler & Colvin. Some of this is specific to California state law, but most of the information presented is applicable in any US state.
White Paper on Fiscal Sponsorship and Description of Different Types – Fiscal sponsorship is an alternative way to structure a nonprofit by coming under the umbrella of an existing organization rather than being free-standing. See more information, and an example of a fiscal sponsor, TSNE MissionWorks.
Compensation Survey Report and Searchable Salary Database – These are the results of a survey of salaries paid for various staff positions at nonprofits in New England, compiled by TSNE MissionWorks. The searchable database allows you to see ranges of what other organizations pay for a particular position, based on their budget size, where they’re located, and other criteria. You can also review the 2014 compensation survey report and searchable salary database
Leadership New England Report, Searchable Survey Data, and Press Release/Summary – Also prepared by TSNE MissionWorks, this report looks at current and upcoming trends in leadership turnover at nonprofits in New England. 64% of executives are planning to leave their organizations in the next five years; approximately 60% of organizations don’t have succession plans in place. The report looks at what’s driving this trend and makes recommendations for how to keep executives in their positions longer and how to prepare for their eventual departure.